Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Preparations

So, I've chosen a horse.  But that's all so far.

I still have to pay for him, sign the paperwork, and pick him up.  Paying won't be fun for my bank account, but is relatively easy.  But physically moving him from where he is to where I am is a little more difficult.

I've placed ads on Craigslist where he is, where I am, and halfway in between, where the seller is willing to meet me, PNER's Facebook page, PNER's Yahoo Group, and Endurance.net.  I'm also trying to spread the word among friends.  Ideally, I would be able to find someone who is traveling from there to here with a trailer with at least one empty spot in it, and can pay my share of their gas costs, but not have to pay a hauler to drive around with an empty trailer half of the entire round trip.

However, I have at least found a hauler willing to make a loop from their town to the halfway point to my town back to their place, for a hefty sum.  I'm willing to pay that sum to get my horse, but am still hoping something cheaper comes along.  But regardless, I have a way to get my horse, so that's good.  It wouldn't be until the 12th, though, so I have some time to bide.

While I wait, I need to get a saddle an bridle and so forth, if I want to be able to ride him once he arrives.  He's quite narrow, though, so I'm not quite sure what saddle to get.  A friend recommended an Abetta Endurance saddle, and they seem like they very well-reviewed for the price, so that works for me (unless someone has better suggestions?).  But I'm not sure which style to get--they don't have semi quarter horse bars.  Should I get regular quarter horse bars, or a gaited tree, which is narrower and flared in the shoulder?  Here are some photos the seller took, of Trigger "naked."

Does this camera make my butt look big?




I'm planning to trail ride until he and I are fit enough to work our way up from fun rides to limited distance to real endurance rides.  Biothane (and beta) are the be-all-end-all for endurance tack, and is nearly indestructible, so that's what I'd like to get.  Though a friend recommended breakable leather until he and I know each other better, just in case, so I'll have to keep that in mind.  Anyone recommend a retailer for when I am ready to buy Biothane?

Any other recommendations for a soon-to-be horse owner?  Lay 'em on me.

No comments:

Post a Comment