Friday, June 12, 2015

Tales from the Workplace, Part XX

*********************************************************************************
I am posting stories from my job, because I think they're funny.  I've done my best to disguise my company name, even the industry, and to keep the people I write about and even some details of the situation anonymous.  If you know me, and know where I work, please don't include details in your comments.  I'll have to delete your comment and reconsider posting these stories.
*********************************************************************************

We have a customer who has ordered from us twice now.  He apparently runs a store out of his garage or something, and doesn't own a forklift.  So we shipped the first load to "Psycho Pete's Garage," an auto shop a friend of his owns down the street, which does have a forklift.  He somehow got the product unloaded and transported to wherever he needed it.  Not our problem, so we don't know the logistics.  The next load was delivered to a different business with a more normal-sounding name, also a friend of his who actually owns a forklift.  That went fine.  He called us again, interested in buying more product, but this time wonders if we can just ship it to his house.  He saw a moving van pulling around the corner near his house, so he figures a semi tractor towing a 53-foot trailer should be no problem, right?

Now, I'm obviously not going to give out his actual location.  So I looked up a similar location on Google Maps in the town I actually live in.  Please note this is NOT my neighborhood, and not anywhere near my actual neighborhood, so any stalkers, please do not bother the nice people who live in this neighborhood.  It's just for demonstration purposes.  Anyway, he lives in a neighborhood that looks like this:


Except where this guy lives would actually be even more iffy, as it's basically a squared-off U that only has three houses on the inside of the bend and four houses on the outside.  I wouldn't be surprised if you could only barely fit a 53-foot trailer on the short end of the U if you air-dropped it there!  Seriously.  Yeah, dude, not gonna happen.  Moving vans are a LITTLE smaller than full-size semis.

No comments:

Post a Comment