Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Tales from the Workplace, Part XVIII

*********************************************************************************
I am posting stories from my job, because I think they're funny.  I've done my best to disguise my company name, even the industry, and to keep the people I write about and even some details of the situation anonymous.  If you know me, and know where I work, please don't include details in your comments.  I'll have to delete your comment and reconsider posting these stories.
*********************************************************************************

A walk-in customer comes in and asks to buy one of our products that we sell by the pallet.  Sure, how many pallets would you like?  "Two or three."  . . .  Um, great.  Would you like two, or would you like three?  That will affect how I write up the invoice and how much you have to pay.  I suggested he pay for two now, and let us know later if he'd like the third.  Mumble mumble, something to the effect of "okay," plus he handed me cash in the amount that two pallets cost.

So I write up the invoice, write that he paid cash, and have him sign it.  He mumbles something about what our hours are for loading in case he comes back some other time.  I tell him we're here to load him up until 4:00, and he says "So maybe I should come in by 3:30, then?"  I agree that that would be wise, and we finish the transaction.

I radio back to the guys in the back that he wants two pallets, and they start loading up the forklift to bring it around.  The customer goes out to his truck and . . . drives away.  Not just to turn his truck around and head toward the loading area, no.  He drives off the lot and down the street.  Apparently he wasn't just talking about coming back some other time for the third pallet he was still deciding to purchase, he actually wanted to pay now but pick up later?  Weird.  And he didn't make that at ALL clear, not that any of his communication was clear.  Oh well, we've got his money so I guess even if he never comes back, we're fine.  :-)

[Update/spoiler--he did come back later.  It was just weird that he wasn't clear that that was his plan]

No comments:

Post a Comment