Friday, October 2, 2015

Tales from the Workplace, Trucking Edition, Part XXV

*********************************************************************************
I am posting stories from my job, because I think they're funny.  I've done my best to disguise my company name, even the industry, and to keep the people I write about and even some details of the situation anonymous.  If you know me, and know where I work, please don't include details in your comments.  I'll have to delete your comment and reconsider posting these stories.
*********************************************************************************

A driver showed up with an empty trailer (yay!) to pick up a load.  We instructed him to drop the empty trailer in the rows of empty trailers out front, any spot was fine as long as it didn't block the flow of traffic, then he should hook onto the loaded trailer and head to the scale.  Well.  He was out there a very long time.  A very, very long time.  We could see him pulling forward, then back, then forward, then back, over and over and over.  Executing a 387-point turn to park the thing, apparently.  At one point, one of our employees (who drives the trailers all around our lot to put them on the loading docks then park them for later pickup, etc.) offered to back it in for him, but the driver wanted to do it.  Yikes.  Isn't backing a trailer into tricky spots (not that this spot was particularly tricky, and the driver had his pick of a few empty spots) part of getting a CDL?  And shouldn't it be part of getting hired to a trucking company as well?  After all, you'll be driving around THEIR equipment, and they don't want you damaging it OR taking up precious time trying to park.

The guy was seriously on the lot for two full hours, for what normally takes a driver 20 minutes or do (drop empty, hook onto loaded, drive over scale, come in for paperwork).  I hope they don't try to charge us detention!

No comments:

Post a Comment