Thursday, October 15, 2015

Tales from the Workplace, Trucking Edition, Part XXVI

*********************************************************************************
I am posting stories from my job, because I think they're funny.  I've done my best to disguise my company name, even the industry, and to keep the people I write about and even some details of the situation anonymous.  If you know me, and know where I work, please don't include details in your comments.  I'll have to delete your comment and reconsider posting these stories.
*********************************************************************************

A truck driver was apparently on one of his last few days with the company, having given notice previously.  He was on a run from our location to southern California, and got within a couple of hours of the destination and apparently decided he was done.  Done driving, done working for that company.  He ditched the truck and trailer and left.  Apparently he told dispatch he was doing so, but they didn't think through the ramifications of that far enough to realize that if the truck and trailer were sitting somewhere other than at the destination, that maybe, just MAYBE, the consignee wasn't getting their delivery.  The day after it was supposed to deliver, the customer finally contacted us to ask about the load, and we contacted the trucking company.  Oh, huh.  Wouldja look at that...the driver abandoned his load, and apparently it's still sitting right where he left it.  Huh.  Who woulda thunk it--it can't just haul itself wherever it needs to go.  Huh.  So they finally sent someone to go pick it up and finalize the delivery, which of course took ANOTHER day, making the load two days late.

Not the truck in question.  Just the photo I'll be using on these posts from now on.  :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment