Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Tales from the Workplace, Trucking Edition, Part VI

*********************************************************************************
I am posting stories from my job, because I think they're funny.  I've done my best to disguise my company name, even the industry, and to keep the people I write about and even some details of the situation anonymous.  If you know me, and know where I work, please don't include details in your comments.  I'll have to delete your comment and reconsider posting these stories.
*********************************************************************************

A truck driver delivered a load that (which of course the customer needed to unload) by dropping the trailer off with the rear end (you know, where the doors are) hanging over a ditch.  Awesome.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

In other news, a different driver claimed that they couldn't pick up a trailer from our lot overnight because of the fenced property and locked gates.  We WISH we could fence and lock our property, but unfortunately can't (and don't) because of the overnight and weekend pickups.  There's not even a fence along the whole front of the property.  So they didn't pick up until Monday instead of over the weekend, and of course that delayed the delivery by a day.

Unfortunately, guess what recourse we have against all this?  NONE!

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

One more:  The drivers all have GPSs in their trucks.  This morning, I saw a truck from one of the few carriers we use near the office, on the next street over, as I pulled in to park.  Sure enough, I'd barely set my stuff down on the desk when he called because he couldn't find us.  He literally could have looked out his drivers side window and seen the empty trucks lined up on our property.  Not to mention the raw material, but depending how our company's name came through on his dispatch info, that may not have been obviously associated with us, but still...  We told him, "See that road in front of you?  Turn left.  Then see the big blue building with lots of trucks in front of it?  Turn left."  Amazingly, that did the trick and he found us.

No comments:

Post a Comment