Wednesday, February 3, 2016

Tales from the Workplace, Trucking Edition, Part XXVIII

*********************************************************************************
I am posting stories from my job, because I think they're funny.  I've done my best to disguise my company name, even the industry, and to keep the people I write about and even some details of the situation anonymous.  If you know me, and know where I work, please don't include details in your comments.  I'll have to delete your comment and reconsider posting these stories.
*********************************************************************************

We had a truck driver scheduled to pick up at 8:00 this morning.  She showed up at 7:10.  No problem.  The boss told her I'd be in around 8:00 to do her paperwork and he'd have her go across the scale, etc., then, but she was welcome to hook on to the trailer (which was ready) now.  She said that wouldn't work--by 8:00 she'd be out of hours, and she needed to get to the truck stop ~70 miles from here.  The boss told her she was more than welcome to rest here as soon as she got the paperwork--drivers often spend the night on our property, and as long as they are out of the way of other trucks coming and going during business hours, we don't mind.  Nope, that wasn't going to work for her.  She said she was going to that truck stop regardless, and she'd be back to pick up the load around 7:00 p.m.  Well, that doesn't work for US, since her load is due in southern California in about as many hours after 7:00 p.m. as it takes to drive there, so that wouldn't allow for any rest time (or fuel stops or anything!) along the way.  She swore she'd get it there in time.  Yeah, right.

So the boss called the trucking company to give them the heads up that this load needed to deliver on time, and if the driver wasn't going to be able to make it, they needed to plan for a relay (driver drops the trailer near the end of her hours, a different (and fresher) driver picks up the trailer and continues on so it can keep moving without much delay).  They swore it would deliver on time.

Guess when it delivered?  I'll give you one guess.  Nope, wasn't on time.


No comments:

Post a Comment