Wednesday, November 25, 2015

Tales from the Workplace, Part XXVIII

*********************************************************************************
I am posting stories from my job, because I think they're funny.  I've done my best to disguise my company name, even the industry, and to keep the people I write about and even some details of the situation anonymous.  If you know me, and know where I work, please don't include details in your comments.  I'll have to delete your comment and reconsider posting these stories.
*********************************************************************************

A walk-in customer came in, towing a rather large flatbed considering he was buying just one pallet of product.  But whatever--maybe he was buying other stuff later.  He backed up to our loading dock area and we loaded his pallet on for him.  Five minutes later or so, the owner of the company, who had been outside, came in and said the poor guy had locked his keys in his truck.  That sucks.  Sucks for us, too, if any other customers come while he's in the way, but mostly I was sympathetic.  :-)  Figured he'd call roadside assistance or whatever, so we went about our business.

Another ten minutes or so, and the guy came in.  He just kind of stood in front of my desk.  Silently.

I asked if I could help him, and he kind of mumbled something.  I obviously looked at him like "Huh?" so he said he'd locked his keys in his truck.  Except he only used about every other word from that sentence.  If my boss hadn't already said as much, I still would have had no clue what he was saying.  Anyway, I said that yeah, I'd heard that, and it sucks.  I asked if there was anything I could to do help.  He just kind of stood there.  I asked if he needed a phone.  He didn't know who he would call.  Um, do you have AAA or roadside assistance?  Something sparked in his brain and he started rummaging through his wallet.  He came up with a AAA card.  Great!  He handed it to me.  Uh, not gonna do me any good.  I again offered him a phone.  He looked at me like I had three heads.  "You know, to call AAA?"  Ah!  Yes, he'd like to call them.  But what number should he call?  I pointed to the 800 number at the bottom of the card.  Oh.  Okay.  He continued staring at me.  I gave him my business card and pointed to our address so he'd know where to tell them to go.  And again offered the phone.  "No, I have a cell phone."  Okay, then.  He wandered back out the door.

Another customer did come, but we manged to get them loaded where they parked, without them having to navigate around the pickup and trailer taking up most of the loading area.  Then next time I looked outside, the guy with the keys locked in was gone.  I don't know if AAA came in record time, or if one of our employees ended up helping him break into his truck or what.  But wow.  That was one of the weirdest encounters I've had in a while.  And I see quite a few truck drivers every week.  :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment